Thursday, July 4, 2013

Those first couple of days


Now that I have a moment to catch a breath, let me tell you about what has been happening for the past couple of days.

I guess I'll start at the beginning. Monday morning Heather and I got up and went for a jog on the longest dead end road either of us has ever experienced in our lives. Although it was absurdly long, we also went on Tuesday morning. While we were out I managed to get this shot.

The rest of Monday and Tuesday we spent the majority of our time working on things for next week.

I'm not going to tell you too much about decorations and devotions and things yet, just in case anyone reading this is planning to come to SOUL, I don't want to ruin any surprises. But later this summer, when we're in Goldsboro, I will be able to reveal everything to you guys. For now, just know that we are working very hard to make sure that everything will run smoothly.

Tuesday afternoon we took a break and headed out to Chesapeake, VA to go to Walmart and see a movie. While we were at Walmart we picked up a lot of items that will be needed next week as well as some food. On the way there, *surprise*, we got lost. That means, that we went to a movie that was later than we had planned, which also means that our dinner plans changed. Originally we has planned to make a family style dinner at Up River (which is what we did Monday:



Since we were late getting out of the movie, we decided that it would be better to stop and pick up some food, so we all decided on Chic-fil-A. Now, remember that we are driving around in the Yearly Meeting van. Which says Quaker on the side, so we get a lot of weird looks as we are driving around. When we all climbed out of the van and had gotten in line, a man came up and started asking me what we were doing, and if we had a "fake van". - He was joking. So I told him about SOUL, and the camp and service projects that we are doing, and that we have worship every night. Then out of no where, as our last staff member has ordered, this man (no, I don't know his name) jumps in front of Heather and pays for all of our food. It was amazing. It's times like that when you can really see God working around you. Not only were we shocked, he completely blew the minds of the cashier and a couple other employees working at the front. As it turns out, the man was a Quaker himself, from a meeting in Virginia.

This morning I was working on worship decorations for a good couple of hours. I won't tell you what we are doing yet. but I will tell you that it is really cool. For dinner this afternoon, we visited with Piney Woods Friends as they held their weekly Bible study and carry-in meal.

We are going to be pushing hard throughout this week and praying that we have the energy  and the patience to keep up with all that is asked of us.